This page includes our formation program around the topic of Generous Giving. Start by watching the video below and viewing the additional information and resources on this page. All Emmanuel members are encouraged to discuss this area of our Christian life with their Small Group and Mentors.
This video, recorded in late 2014, outlines Emmanuel Community's approach to tithing and a generous response to God, with testimonies from members of the community. To view full screen, click the box in the lower right.
Emmanuel's Policy on Generous Giving
Emmanuel’s approach to generous giving can be summarised as below:
Any response that we make in our lives is always a response to the fact that God first loved us and gave Himself to us in Jesus. Our first response therefore is to give our whole lives to the God who first loved us. It is out of this surrender of our lives that we give of our time, talent and treasure. In relation to our financial giving, we expect that members of the Community will:
Give regularly, informing the Community of their target for giving each year so that responsible financial planning can occur for the Community.
Whilst we are clear about what we are aiming for in this area, the Community actively fosters a pastoral approach to how this is applied in each person’s life and circumstances.
Sometimes it is useful to say what Emmanuel’s policy is not, as we all bring different backgrounds and influences to this area which impact our understanding. A few comments on this include:
- It is not a strict 10% tithe policy. We believe that God is asking us to give over our whole lives. The 10% however is a good guide as a minimum target for our giving. Targets or guides are useful to putting “flesh” on what generous giving means.
- We do not subscribe to the approach that is often called “prosperity Gospel”. This is sometimes presented as “if you give your tithe, God will bless you with financial success which will allow you to give more”. Whilst we are clear that God expects and blesses generous giving, our motivation is not influenced by the expectation of financial reward or success.
Resources for Generous GivingThe resources below are offered as tools to help you manage your personal finances and to grow in your understanding of Christian financial management.
- A Tool to Guide Decision Making, a simple form that allow a person to set their own goals for generous giving
- Podcast called "Stronger in Generosity", by Bill Hybels (dated 16/3/14 - this link should bring this particular episode to the top of the page, but otherwise you may need to scroll down to the episode dated 16/3/14) You could also search for "Stronger in Generosity" in your podcast media player and choose the episode from Willow Creek Community Church.
- Info on "Freed up Financial Living", a Christian financial management course, including podcast
- Video called "Restart with your Finances", by Bill Hybels (dated 25/01/15) which is on practical steps for managing finances.
For more information about how to respond by giving to Emmanuel or to join our Regular Giving program, please contact our Finance Team:
|Phone:||(07) 3217 5199|
|Post:|| PO Box 126, Paddington Qld 4064
Please make cheques to 'Emmanuel Community'